Monday, October 12, 2009

Corkscrew Swam Sanctuary




I was enlightened at Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary by Erika about the plume feathers and how they almost went into extinction due to what society believed was fashionable. Erika also talked about the “living machine” and how water was filtered into drinkable water through different species of plants and animals. I thought that was really interesting and neat. I also learned about burns and their importance and how Smokey the Bear actually hurt the environment a little but extinguishing all fires. Smokey eliminating all fires did not allowed for too much fuel for fire and made the fire too hot for plants that normally would survive a burn to bear. I didn’t even know any trees could survive any fires at all. It was also refreshing learning that there was a preserved swamp in the area and it will not be turned into another shopping mall. Although I was pretty bitten by the mosquitoes by the end of the trip I still really enjoyed this experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment